Saturday, September 09, 2006

Day Six: McBaine to Hartsburg

It was time to get back into the swing of things. It was time to get some mileage in. It was time to test drive the new pads in my shoes. In other words, it was time.
I started out this morning by delivering my truck to the Hartsburg trailhead for the return trip home. I guess that committed me to finishing this leg of the trail. My load was considerably lighter today, since all I really needed to carry was lunch and something to drink.

The scenery has definitely changed from the prairies and rolling farmland of the last week. I am in, and will remain, in the river bottoms for the rest of the trip. I guess I am just meant to live near the rivers, I love the woods and murky creeks coming out of the bluffs. Here is a little taste of the view.

The first notable site along this section of the trail is the Pierced Rock natural arch that is high on the bluffs a few miles south of McBaine. Numerous explorers noted this formation, including Lewis and Clark. The French fur traders that preceded them used the French name for the site, which I will not mangle by attempting to spell for you. Luckily, I guess, our ancestors "Americanized" it and the name of the creek nearby to Perche Creek. And I always thought that the creek was full of perch fish. Yahoo!

As you head further down the trail, you cross numerous large creeks emptying into the Missouri River. There is a large conservation area, Eagle Bluffs, nearby. Most of the wildlife you see, as a result, tends to be of the bird persuasion.

You probably can't make it out, but that is a blue heron perched on the stump at the mouth of this creek.

One of "oasises" in this part of the trail is Cooper's Landing. It is a boat dock, bar, Thai restaurant, bbq joint and campground right on the big river. If you need it, the usually have it. I really need to get back there when there is a band playing. Maybe I have latent river rat tendencies.

As has often been the case, when you get near the end of the trail, it is good to see some civilization. As I made my way into Hartsburg, there is a really pretty little church about a quarter-mile from the trailhead. I am not sure what denomination it is, but it is a classic building.

Well, that about sums up Day Six. As I write this on Saturday morning, I am getting ready to start on the final leg of this walk. I will not be able to update this for about a week and a half. I am not too sure how many people read this, but don't despair, I will have lots to update when I get back to the computer. Right now, the target date for me to finish all of this up is Thursday evening, Sept. 14, when I hit the riverfront in St. Charles. The next day, Theresa and I have to fly to Texas for our (yikes) 25th high school reunion, so I will be back home sometime late that following Monday. Cheers, everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home