Saturday, September 01, 2007

Day 12: Marthasville to Matson

This morning, Theresa and I woke up at Birk's, ate a wonderful breakfast and got ready to bid Hermann goodbye. We ran into a little bit of a speed bump. Our trusty truck had a flat tire and the el cheapo pump that I have carried around for a couple of years was no help. It didn't have the power to pump up a bike tire, let alone a Ford Ranger's. Road and Track my butt! After borrowing a pump from Rick, the owner of Birk's, we made our way to a tire shop in town to get it patched. Thirty minutes and $10 later, we headed to Marthasville.

The day was definitely a hot one but it looked like some rain might brew up. As I walked into my first rest stop of the day, Dutzow, a few, fat raindrops were beginning to patter the dusty trail. Since we got a later start than we hoped to, Theresa and I stopped for lunch at the Dutzow Deli. They have really good burgers.



After lunch, my next rest stop was 7.7 miles away in Augusta. I was going to be left to my own devices for this stretch, because Highway 94 tracks away from the trail through most of this area. I kind of like the seclusion, so this is usually not a problem for me. The walk was pretty uneventful along this stretch. Not long after you leave Dutzow, you see the "spires and towers" of Washington, Mo., from across the river. A short time later, you cross into St. Charles County, the last county you travel in if you are going from west to east on the trail -- nine counties in all.


By the time I got into St. Charles county, the earlier clouds had burned off and it got sunny and HOT. The trail departs the shade of the bluffs and travels through the bottom-lands. Think pretty much no shade.


About half-way across this part of the trail, you hit the little spot called Nona. As with most of the stops along the trail, there is a grain elevator. The only other thing there is a single house and a storefront. As I passed by, it looked like someone was doing some sort of renovation to the former store. If so, I wish them luck. I would have killed for some shade and something cool to drink. If you travel this stretch, be sure you have water and a hat. You'll need them.


Finally, the trail gets back into the lee of the bluffs. After a few miles, you roll into Augusta. I have always liked Augusta. Think of it as somewhat of a smaller version of Hermann. They are, for the size of the town, loaded with B&Bs and have four vinyards and a microbrewery in the area. My personal opinion? The best winery is Montelle. Nice people, gorgeous view and tasty wine. Augusta Winery is also very good and have a wonderful staff. Least favorite? Well, let me just put it this way, they are the biggest in town, awfully full of themselves and the name rhymes with pheasant.


After downing a few cold drinks and snacks, it was time to knock out the last stretch of the day. Theresa and I were staying at Klondike Park that night, but I was going to walk past the park and into Matson. I was surprised at the beauty of the trail east of Augusta. While 99 percent of the trail is pretty, I was impressed with the bluffs in this area. They positively tower above the trail. As you walk beneath them, you can't help but feel insignificant. Of course, I left the camera in the truck for this stretch, so you will have to take my word for it. Such is life.


Theresa met me about 2.5 miles or so away from Matson. I dumped off my backpack and decided to kinda amp up the cardio for the last little stretch of the day. I made a mistake, though. As any of you loyal readers will know, if you were able to wade through this mess of a blog, that last year blisters on my feet caused me to cut off this expedition after 163 miles. Well, up to this point, my feet had been holding up wonderfully.

Until now.

When I dropped off my backpack, I decided to take off my heavier shoes and wool hiking socks and change into running shoes with thin socks. Bad idea. Barely a mile down the trail, I started to feel a blister forming on my left foot. By the time I got to Matson, I could feel that nice, throbbing pillow of fluid at the ball of my foot. Oh boy! I should have just left the original shoes and socks on. Fortunately, the day of hiking was over and we were headed back to camp in Klondike Park.

Stay tuned for "G and T's" fun in the park!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home